How to Cure Your Tagine
Curing your tagine before use is an important step prior to using your tagine for cooking. This process helps seal the porous clay and create a non-stick surface that will improve the flavor of your food.
Before using your tagine, cure it following these easy steps:
1. Soak the base and lid in water for 24 hours. Make sure both are completely soaked in water for a full day.
2. Pat dry with a clean towel, and brush surfaces with olive oil. Doing this will help seal the clay and create a surface that is non-stick.
3. Place the tagine in a cold oven and heat to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. This gradual heating process helps to prevent the clay from cracking due to sudden the sudden change in temperature.
4. Leave the tagine in the oven for 2 hours. This will allow the clay to slowly cure.
5. After two hours, turn off the oven and let the tagine cool completely inside the oven.
6. Now, you are ready to cook with your cured tagine!